Sunday, September 28, 2014

Rainbow Hand Quilting - Starting the Border

More progress on the baby quilt.  I finished all 20 blocks and even managed to start the border.

There is going to be stitching in all three of the borders.  I have started on the first two.  The third one is close enough to the edge that it will require some finessing with the hoop, so I'm going to do that one separately.  No reason to make them all complicated!

I've been getting rid of the batting lint as I go.  It's very striking just how black the borders are again!

Starting to sew - a fun curlicue.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Rainbow Hand Quilting - 89%

There has been some really good progress this past week.  I was able to accomplish just about one square a day, bringing me to halfway through square 18!

The back is the easiest way to see all the quilted blocks!

Square 18 is Mr. Snake.  I was hoping to have him finished for this morning, but I still think I'm in good shape to be done with the panel and working on the borders by mid week!

One of the squares I finished recently had both a boy and a girl.  Since the baby has already been born, and the gender is no surprise, I decided to only outline the little boy.

Each block has an outer and an inner border around its center piece.  For half of the blocks this is a light and dark of the same color.  In the course of my stitching, I've found the boundary between the light and dark is harder to discern with certain colors.  For example, the yellow squares have been quite easy to stitch.  However, the line between the two shades in the red squares is more difficult to see (and those blocks go a good deal slower).  I think they picked very similar reds!

Linking up to MOP Monday and Let's Bee Social.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Autumn Rose

I finished before the wedding!  That was very exciting.

The last stitch on the binding was put in Friday morning, and the label was attached in the hotel room the morning of the wedding.  I really need to stop running so late on quilts one of these days!

Unfortunately the weather was pretty disgusting the day of the wedding so my pictures are pretty dark, but they get the job done.

Despite it's slightly rocky beginnings, I ended up loving this quilt so much.  The quilting was simply gorgeous and exactly what I was hoping for.  I think I'm going to have to make a quilt for the hubby and me and have it custom quilted.

I had contemplated binding it in the border fabric but when it turned out that I didn't have enough, green was it!  I think it worked pretty well and gave a little bit of interest to the edges.

I have already heard from the happy couple that they loved it.  What a relief!

Stats -
Autumn Rose
Size: 86 x 98
Finished: September 2014

Linking up with Let's Bee Social.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What's in a Name - A Giveaway

My baby quilt has been put aside for the moment because I've got many, many inches of binding to sew this week.

My (huge) maple leaf quilt is back from the quilter, and it's gorgeous!  There's no sneak peak of it quilted today (Sorry, I forgot my camera) but it turned out even better than I hoped!

The wedding is fast approaching now and I need to come up with a name for it, post haste.  So I'm going to host a little challenge...

The winner will receive a 20$ gift certificate to Hawthorne Threads!  Anyone can win, near or far, and I'll pick a winner this weekend.

In order to be eligible to win please leave me a name suggestion in your comment (and an email address if you are a no-reply blogger).  Thanks!

Linking up to Let's Bee Social.

EDIT: I've been getting some excellent suggestions today from no reply bloggers; most commonly from bloggers who use Google+ accounts.  Please make sure that I can access your email address if you would like to be entered into my giveaway.  Thanks so much!