Friday, September 30, 2016

Nine Knots - A Finished Top!

Yesterday I put the last border on my Celtic quilt.  It is now officially a finished top!

I had been thinking about trying to make one HUGE knot for the back, but I would need about one more yard of the background fabric than I have left to be able to put the corners on it.  That brings it back to the drawing board for now!

Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Hexie Bug!

It didn't take long to finish up the flower started last week and stitch it down to a backing fabric.  I seem to be accumulating pink test blocks, so there may be a test block sampler quilt in my future!

And with that done, I was off trying to find card stock with which to make hexagon papers and basting fabric for my next set of projects!  I'd love to hear from those who make their own templates as to their favorite type of paper to use.

This set of projects includes a large and a small version of the same design.  The small one will use 1" hexies, and the large one will be made with 1.75" hexies.  The smaller ones are a little easier to make, I think, but they should both turn out fine!

I think it's safe to say that I have, at least temporarily, caught the hexie bug!

Linking up with Slow Sunday Stitching.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Hexagon Test

My quilt guild is running a hexagon challenge this year, and I thought that signing up could be a good way to motivate myself to make a hexie quilt I've had my eye on.  However, I have never done English paper piecing before and thought perhaps I should give it a try before I commit myself.

One of the shops in a local shop hop recently gave out packets of squares and 1" papers to make a little flower.  A single flower seemed like a good size for a test, so I pulled it out and started basting!

I wasn't sure about all 6 of the petal squares in the packet going together, so I swapped in 3 fabrics from my scrap bins.  I even managed to make a fussy cut flower in just the right colors!

With seven hexies basted, it's time to make them into a flower!  Let the whip stitching commence!

Linking up with Slow Sunday Stitching.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

A New Cross-Stitch

Since I finished my sampler of critters this year, it was time to choose a new slow stitching project.

While I was looking around, some very cute Winnie the Pooh letters jumped up and called out, "pick me!"  And now the first letter is almost finished.  Pooh's tummy needs a little extra honey filling, and then there will be just a little bit of outlining to do to clear up his edges and give him a happy face!

Linking up with Slow Stitching Sunday.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Positively In Progress

I've been wanting to make a quilt for myself using the Positively Perfect Quilt pattern from Moda's Bakeshop for some time and I figured my recent birthday was as good an excuse as any to get started!

I had bought Patrick Lose's Suds fabric line to use in this piece, but still hadn't decided on a background, so I headed towards my stash to try and find one.  However, the background hasn't wanted to play nice!

First I chose a grey marbled fabric, but when I started cutting pieces it didn't seem right.  So then I pulled out a black dot fabric and even got as far as making blocks, but ultimately decided it still wasn't speaking to me.

So I put it aside for a bit before giving it one more shot.  This time I tried a calmer tonal black, and I think that all the parts are finally starting to work together!  Third time must be the charm!

Linking up with Let's Bee Social, Fabric Frenzy, and Finished or Not Friday.