Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Blocks for Boston


That's a lot of fabric pulled for two little blocks!
Quilts for Boston


When I first heard about the call for blocks by the Boston Modern Quilt Guild, I knew I wanted to participate.  Being a hand quilter I don't really have time to make quilts for charity (as much as I wish I did)... but blocks, I can do!

 
Itty Bitty Star

I knew that I wanted to do something with the friendship star.  It seemed right to be sending friendship to those going through tough times.

I had wanted to do a friendship circle block, but given the time constraints, it just wasn't possible.  And after doing one three inch star, I'm kind of glad I didn't get embroiled in a pattern that required eight of them!


Something doesn't look quite right...


I pulled out all of the fabric I could find in my stash in the required colors.  Yellow and blue?  No problem.  White was another story.  Apparently I don't really use grey or white.

Now I just needed to actually make the blocks!  I've been training for a race and a few big quilt deadlines are approaching so time was scarce.  But training culminated Saturday, and I've been working hard since then.




Luckily piecing went smoothly.  Seams matched up and laid flat, my blocks didn't shrink, and all the pieces that I cut were correct.  (Being in a hurry a few pieces got forgotten...)

And this morning, mere days before the deadline, I was able to get my blocks in the mail.  I hope they get there in time!

Two finished blocks, on their way...

Linking up with Finish it up Friday.

8 comments:

  1. Great blocks, i really like the layout for each of them! What a great way to show support as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blocks I love the stars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty!
    Esther
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 4 star block. The center is so cool with the stars all connecting. Really nice contrast too. Great job! k-

    ReplyDelete