Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Astronomy 101

I had trouble choosing which pictures I wanted to show, so there's a lot of them.  I hope you enjoy it!

I'm submitting this quilt, "Astronomy 101", for the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side.  Machine pieced and hand quilted, it's a long full size blanket - the exact dimensions escape me at the moment.


It's so named because I came up with the quilting plan in, wait for it...  Astronomy 101.  Well that and all of the quilting is astronomy related.  Each of the square blocks between the stars has been quilted with one of the eight phases of the moon.

The stars had been assembled prior to deciding the overall layout.  This meant that each seam of the "moon" blocks had to be done in two parts.


Star and Moon Detail

Star Detail



Orion - The Hunter
In the large open space I quilted two constellations - Draco and The Hunter.  The constellation stars were done in white and the rest of the quilting was done in rainbow variegated thread.  I certainly would think twice about using variegated thread again.  It frayed like crazy!

Draco


7 comments:

  1. So pretty! Great quilting choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like all the different stars. So pretty:)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a colorful feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty! And I love that you quilted constellations! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was drawn to the pieced blocks first, but seeing the constellation quilting just puts this over the top.

    ReplyDelete