Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Lots of Leaves

My goal for this week was to have all the full blocks made.  But with three blocks left to do as of last night, I wasn't sure I was going to make it.

It seems last minute Rachel has pulled through yet again!

Almost there!

In related news, the backing that I ordered was delivered last week.  It's a little lighter in places than I was expecting but since it's going to be on the back, it's close enough.  It's all starting to come together now!


Linking up with Let's Bee Social and W.i.P Wednesday.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Half Square Triangle Fatigue

I didn't do a lick of actual sewing this week; instead, I did a whole lot of trimming.  I now have 144 half square triangles and 36 stems all prepped and ready to be made into leaves.

I'm hoping that by next week I'll have all the remaining blocks put together.

I didn't properly appreciate how many HSTs there were in this quilt.  There are 240 HSTs!  I'm looking forward to my next quilt.  It's not going to involve a single triangle!

I also did a little fabric shopping.  I went to find backing at a LQS Saturday... except I ended up walking out with approximately 8.5 yards for a completely different project and no backing.  Whoops!  So Monday I ordered a couple yards of wide back online.  There goes April's budget!  And I had been doing so well this year.

Linking up with Let's Bee Social.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Fabric Remnants

I've finished sewing all the stems for the remaining maple leaves.  I even made the stems for the block I forgot about.  That's thirty-six stems!  Someone needs to remind me, the next time I think about making a leaf, that I should just make bear paws instead.  All these stems were a bit annoying.

I have half of the leaf points sewn as well.  There's still a lot of trimming and ironing to do, but I may be ready for block assembly by the weekend.

Yesterday I found out that my tooth is going to require a bit more help and a little more time to heal than I anticipated, so to pick myself up I applied a little retail therapy.  A half yard of red polka dots helped quite nicely.

Last but not least, I recently had some fabric passed on to me by a friend.  I took part of it, but there are some pieces that I know will find a better home with someone else.  There's some flannel...

A large piece of upholstery weight stripes...

And a handful of creamy batiks.

I'd love to give them to a quilter that can use them, so if you're interested please let me know which fabrics you want and what you would use them for.  My apologies to my international readers, but preference will be given to those with US mailing addresses.

Linking up to Let's Bee Social.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Woodland Sampler - March

March's mushroom is done and, since it was a small block, I made some progress on January as well.

After all that agonizing I decided to stick with white for January's snowflakes.  The white is more visible in person than it is on the computer (depending on the light) and I wasn't thrilled enough with any of my other options to warrant un-stitching.  Especially not since my top choice was such a pain to wrangle.

I did use the sparkly white for the reflection on the glass in March though.

It's been a slow week because my nemesis tooth is no more.  That means I win...  Or I will have won after my jaw stops hurting.  That mean old tooth is getting in a few last licks.  In a few more days I hope to get back to my 15 minutes a day of quilting.

Linking up with W.i.P. Wednesday and Let's Bee Social.