Monday, October 27, 2014

Rainbow Baby Quilt - A Finish

The last stitch has been put in my rainbow baby quilt.


The last pin pulled to finish off the binding.


Photographs have been taken for posterity, with crazy morning light (of course).  I enjoyed walking past and admiring it hanging on my wall while I was going about my morning.


And the hand off has been accomplished.  I'm so glad it's done and off to it's new home!

Linking up with Slow Sunday Stitching.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Rainbow Hand Quilting - Third Border

The picture isn't very clear, because it was really dark before work, but I have made more progress on the baby quilt.  25% of the third border is finished.  Hopefully I'll be binding by the week's end.

I exchanged my big hoop for a smaller one.

Remember these blocks?
I also finally got around to soaking those blocks I had sitting under my iron as it went through it's death throws and leaked everywhere....

Just soaking in clear water seems to have worked well to get the color out.  So I'll be starting to soak the unassembled pieces when this baby quilt is done.  One of the dark purples on the top needs a little more soaking perhaps, but it did not have as much time to sit as the others.

The blocks are are not as close to square as they were though.  I might try to re-wet them and block them out a bit better, but I'm thinking that I'll have to trim them to size.


Linking up with Slow Stitching Sunday and MOP Monday.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Rainbow Hand Quilting - Third Border Analysis

I was hoping to have two finished borders today, but I still have one hoop position left.  Tonight should see them done, and the hike I went on Saturday was worth a little delay!  Cold, but worth it.


The original plan was to do a zig zag for the third border.  However, after a quick calculation of how much more sewing I would need to do for a zig zag border than a straight border (which turned out to be about 60 inches), I may go with a straight border instead.  The poor little guy deserves his quilt!


Linking up to Slow Stitching Sunday and MOP Monday.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Rainbow Hand Quilting - The First Two Borders

I've been putting in some quilting time every night and am now about 50% of the way done with borders one and two.  I think I'm going to have to revise my estimated finish date again.  I must be putting in more quilting than usual...

The first border is done on the bottom in the hoop.

I've been using tape to mark the line borders.  I have one set for the side borders and one for the top and bottom borders because they are different widths.

I won a giveaway last week, and was pleasantly surprised to find my prize waiting in my mailbox when I got back in to town last night.

But, despite my excitement, I managed to leave the fabric in it's package overnight and used it as a reward to get myself out of bed early this morning.  Mission accomplished!





Sunday, September 28, 2014

Rainbow Hand Quilting - Starting the Border

More progress on the baby quilt.  I finished all 20 blocks and even managed to start the border.


There is going to be stitching in all three of the borders.  I have started on the first two.  The third one is close enough to the edge that it will require some finessing with the hoop, so I'm going to do that one separately.  No reason to make them all complicated!


I've been getting rid of the batting lint as I go.  It's very striking just how black the borders are again!

Starting to sew - a fun curlicue.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Rainbow Hand Quilting - 89%

There has been some really good progress this past week.  I was able to accomplish just about one square a day, bringing me to halfway through square 18!

The back is the easiest way to see all the quilted blocks!

Square 18 is Mr. Snake.  I was hoping to have him finished for this morning, but I still think I'm in good shape to be done with the panel and working on the borders by mid week!

One of the squares I finished recently had both a boy and a girl.  Since the baby has already been born, and the gender is no surprise, I decided to only outline the little boy.













Each block has an outer and an inner border around its center piece.  For half of the blocks this is a light and dark of the same color.  In the course of my stitching, I've found the boundary between the light and dark is harder to discern with certain colors.  For example, the yellow squares have been quite easy to stitch.  However, the line between the two shades in the red squares is more difficult to see (and those blocks go a good deal slower).  I think they picked very similar reds!

Linking up to MOP Monday and Let's Bee Social.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Autumn Rose

I finished before the wedding!  That was very exciting.

The last stitch on the binding was put in Friday morning, and the label was attached in the hotel room the morning of the wedding.  I really need to stop running so late on quilts one of these days!

Unfortunately the weather was pretty disgusting the day of the wedding so my pictures are pretty dark, but they get the job done.


Despite it's slightly rocky beginnings, I ended up loving this quilt so much.  The quilting was simply gorgeous and exactly what I was hoping for.  I think I'm going to have to make a quilt for the hubby and me and have it custom quilted.


I had contemplated binding it in the border fabric but when it turned out that I didn't have enough, green was it!  I think it worked pretty well and gave a little bit of interest to the edges.

I have already heard from the happy couple that they loved it.  What a relief!

Stats -
Autumn Rose
Size: 86 x 98
Finished: September 2014


Linking up with Let's Bee Social.