My first thought was to cut the back large and roll it over the same way I do on baby quilts. Then I promptly cut the pieces too small and had to come up with a new plan.
I found a tutorial to make the binding into a loop with a straight join before attaching it to the potholder, and I thought I might be able to adapt that method to use an angled join.
I lined up the corners and drew a diagonal from one edge to the other. I sewed on this line, trimmed the excess triangles off, and then ironed the loop in half.
Then I pinned the loop of binding down to the front of the potholder. It was a little on the large side, so I might make it a very little bit smaller next time. It wasn't too big that I couldn't make it work by easing it in a little as I went though.
The moment of truth! The corners seemed a little more determined to give me trouble with the mitering, but it's pinned down now and ready for a little hand sewing tonight! Just in time, because these will start their journey on Wednesday! Phew!
Linking up with MOP Monday.